How are the planned activities going to lead to achievement of the project’s objectives?
We will develop and fine-tune our own methodology which is innovative and the students will learn in an practical and critical way. They will work on local topics in our area that are important for the wider European community.
The 4 themes are:
THE NETHERLANDS: social inequality- the quality of life in a disadvantaged neighbourhood
BULGARIA: Food ethics – food waste
SWEDEN: Environment – the pollution of the sea
GREECE: Immigration – managing the integration of refugees
To achieve the objectives this methodology contains the following steps:
1. Defining the problem by interviewing locals (e.g. authorities, local specialists, people from the region). The students of the organising school prepare a film about this and send it to the other schools.
2. A preparation assignment:investigate similar issues. What kind of solutions had other countries?Students prepare a fact sheet. These activities create a sense of belonging to a community, local and European and foster social integration, because the students are working with their own local communities and share the results with each other. (=Objective 3) LTTWorking phase
3. Students present a pitch with facts about the situation in their own country.
4. Each group consists of 3 foreign students and 3 students from the hosting country. They define the methodology/ the ways to gather information for the research.
5. Present this to each other
6. Research: each group visits a different place in the area connected with the topic. The teachers have selected and contacted the places and the students can choose.
7. The groups present the info that they found to each other so that everybody has all info.
8. The whole group discusses the event to make the community aware of the problem and the solutions they are going to come up with
9. The groups prepare different solutions and prepare the event.
The process is shared via vlogs on a Youtube channel:
10. The students present the solutions at the event and think about the consequences of the solutions in a debate These activities will contribute to:learn and research in an innovative way: most activities are outside the classroom,room for personalized learning: the students can choose their way of research. Finding a solution is part of thinking out of the box. (=Objective 1&2) Dissimination phase
11.Solutions are presented and discussed at home
12.Solutions are given to local governments, local media and put on the website.
13. The teachers guide teachers make contains:
– An introduction in our methodology
– Why its useful to work this way, especially in international group
– Good practices during the LTT meeting
– To be critical: how to do it?
– To personalize project
– To foster student ownership of the learning
– To monitor the process
– To organize a local event
– To set up a debate
This way we create and spread a complete teaching methodology and can be used by teachers all over Europe.