Context and Background:
The main goal of the European Commission as it was declared in January 2018 is to provide young people with any kind of help, such as knowledge and skills, through the educational system in order to improve the connection between the job market and them. The path, through which this will happen, is the triangle: education – research – innovation, in order to rediscover young people’s talents and skills. Its a tough bet but also absolutely necessary in today’s circumstances. Being inspired by this, we want to work in a project based on learning in an environment outside of the schools. Our students will face with real-life issues, primarily on a local base, but also through a global aspect. They will to visit organisations, people and places linked to these local problems and try to suggest the best possible solutions. The core of this methodology is to abandon the sterilized environment of the classroom and we put education in the centre of real life. The topics have been chosen as they are linked to the EU commission’s priorities, allow a multidisciplinary approach and are linked to the schools’ curriculums. Each theme is strongly connected with one of the participating schools and its local area. The LTT meeting in each country will be concentrated around it:
– Social and economic inequality: The quality of life in a disadvantaged neighborhood
– Food ethics: Food waste
– Immigration: the integration of immigrants
– Environment: the pollution of the sea
Objectives of our project in relation to the program priorities and the European Commission are:
1. To learn and research in an innovative way, mostly outside the classroom and on locations that are relevant for the different local topics during the LTT activities.
2. To learn in a practical and critical way, to ensure that our students have the capacity to think out of the box. Since the given problems concern real life, the way our students should deal with them must be absolutely practical and the method must ensure the increase of critical thinking. The problems concern real life and the solutions should be linked to that.
3. Foster social integration, enhance intercultural understanding and a sense of belonging to a community. In a multicultural environment it is necessary to achieve a minimum of consensus between the different communities in order to succeed in dealing with the complicated and more demanding problems of our era. And through this the common goal of coexistence can be ensured.
4. To produce a teacher’s guide for our own teaching methodology that focuses on teaching essential skills and competences in a practical way and which can easily be accessed and implemented in the school practice all over Europe.
Number and profile of participants:
200 students are directly and indirectly involved. In detail, about 30 students of each school will travel abroad to the partner schools and about 180 students will indirectly provide their help and efforts to conclude the goals of the project. Also about 30 teachers will interfere and provide their guidance for the purposes of the program and share experiences.
Activities: The students will prepare an introduction to the local theme of research. The form of this introduction will be a short film which will show in a clear manner the nature of the given problem. After this the participants will work on similar local problems in their places. During the LTT meeting, the participants will be in contact with local institutions and factors who have tare linked to the problems. Each group will come up with an out of the box solution, after they have completed their research. After the discussion that will follow, the students will decide the type of the event through which they are going to act towards suggesting their own solutions. They will prepare a vlog about the process and the solutions.
The concrete results will be:
a. A teacher’s guide that contains a methodology, activities and lesson plans that will be shared.
b. A website on which to describe the themes in the participating countries, the results of the research and the solutions
c. A YouTube channel that contains the vlogs the students made during the LTT activities , the research process and the presentation of the solutions
We focus on the direct connection between real life and education, the preparation of our students to act and behave as proactive citizens, the increase of their critical and practical ability, the integration of disabled, learning and economically, groups of students, the multicultural cooperation in a demanding and changing modern environment. The public character of the program and the widespread of its results in a vaster educational community through its concrete results will provide the methodological tools to colleagues in the whole EU, helping them to deal with the major problem of modern education, to adjust to the modern demands and connect to real life.
In this videos you can learn more about the Erasmus+ programme: